Between the Sheets
The exact origin of the cocktail Between the Sheets is a bit unclear and debated among cocktail enthusiasts. However, it is commonly believed to have been created during the Prohibition era in the 1920s. The recipe is a variation of the classic Sidecar cocktail, which was popular at the time.
The Between the Sheets cocktail is said to have been first mixed at Harry's New York Bar in Paris, by Harry MacElhone or his head bartender, Frank Meier. It is also suggested that the cocktail might have originated in New York City, as it appeared in various cocktail guides and bars around the same time.
The drink gained popularity due to its smooth and sophisticated taste, which appealed to both men and women. The name "Between the Sheets" was chosen as a playful nod to the secretive nature of the Prohibition era, where people would often gather in hidden speakeasies to enjoy a drink.
Today, the Between the Sheets cocktail remains a classic cocktail enjoyed by many. Its combination of rum, brandy, triple sec, and lemon juice makes for a refreshing and balanced drink. Whether it was born out of Parisian creativity or the bustling streets of New York City, this cocktail has certainly made its mark in the world of mixology.
SHAKE all ingredients with ice and fine strain into chilled glass.
Tips for Preparing a Better "Between the Sheets" Cocktail
- Quality Ingredients: Choose high-quality spirits and fresh ingredients to ensure a delicious cocktail.
- Skillful Balance: Achieve a harmonious blend of flavors by carefully balancing the ingredients.
- Proportions: Follow the recipe's proportions to maintain the integrity of the cocktail.
- Proper Glassware: Serve the cocktail in an appropriate glass to enhance the drinking experience.
- Garnish Gracefully: Add a visually appealing garnish that complements the flavors of the cocktail.
- Efficient Mixing: Thoroughly mix the ingredients together, ensuring they are well combined.
- Serve Chilled: Chill the cocktail before serving to enhance the taste and refreshment.
- Enjoy Responsibly: Consume alcoholic beverages responsibly and know your limits.